Location: New York, NY (hybrid, in-person and remote)
Social Accountability International (SAI) is a global non-governmental organization working to advance human rights for workers around the world. SAI’s vision is of decent work everywhere—sustained by an understanding that socially responsible workplaces benefit business while securing fundamental human rights. SAI empowers workers and managers at all levels of businesses and supply chains through social standards and guidance, training and capacity-building programs, and convening partnerships that drive dialogue and consensus-based solutions. For more information about SAI, visit our website at https://sa-intl.org.
SAI is seeking a skilled and enthusiastic writer and communicator with a demonstrated interest in workers’ rights to join SAI as Senior Communications Associate. The Communications & Marketing team at SAI work closely with program teams to create content that furthers our organizational goals and to develop and implement targeted communications strategies. The Senior Communications Associate will work with program and communications staff to develop technical content and other materials that align with our strategic priorities and to develop and implement program-specific and organization-wide communications plans.
The ideal candidate is skilled at both long- and short-form writing, visual communication, and communications strategy and eager to apply these skills to advance human rights for workers.
Content Creation & Comms Collateral (70%)
- Develop, edit, and design high-quality written and visual materials for a wide variety of media, with a focus on compelling story-telling of SAI’s mission, programs, and impact. Including for:
- Proposals and reports
- Press releases, articles, blog posts, white papers, etc.
- Brochures and other marketing collateral
- Speeches, talking points, internal briefings
- Support development and manage review of technical and educational materials (e.g., trainings, handbooks/guidance documents, tools, white papers, etc.), bringing a communications lens and solid writing and editing skills to those projects
- Edit and proofread material of all sorts (i.e., short- and long-form, technical and general, written and visual) across all programs for voice and style, content and coherency, errors, connection to audience, and connection to SAI theory of change and mission
- Create marketing collateral for events as needed (e.g., banners, social media graphics, posters, brochures, etc.)
- Support recruitment and management of contractors (e.g., graphic design, web development, translation, etc.) as needed
- Create content calendars that further SAI’s strategic goals and work with staff across all departments to deliver content on time
- Support development of centralized framing and messaging around core themes of SAI’s work and work with staff to integrate throughout our various programs and services
- Develop, maintain, and implement brand guidelines and templates
Communications Planning and Management (30%)
- Design and implement communications campaigns that inform, inspire, and grow SAI’s network in support of strategic goals. This includes:
- Using social media, editing SAI’s website(s), using email marketing tools, etc.
- Reviewing relevant analytics, subscription lists, etc. to assess reach and inform future strategy
- Support development and implementation of program-specific and organization-level communications strategies and plans
- Support development and maintenance of knowledge and asset management systems
- Support training for staff on SAI communications policies, guides, templates, and best practices and serve as an internal resource to support their effective use
- Coordinate ongoing maintenance of SAI Intranet with other staff
Qualifications and Core Competencies
Please be aware that no one will ever meet all criteria mentioned in a job description. If you believe you would be a strong candidate based on the responsibilities described above, but only fit some of the below criteria, we encourage you to apply.
Experience and Education
- 2-3 years of experience in communications, marketing, development, or fundraising role(s) with strong writing requirements preferred
- Proven experience managing multiple projects and making decisions to prioritize tasks
- Familiarity and experience with international workplace human rights, CSR, ESG and/or labor issues and organizations strongly preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience)
- US work authorization
- One or more of the following are a plus:
- Experience writing for international audiences (especially India, China, Latin America, or other SAI focus regions) and/or business audiences
- Both non-profit and for-profit experience, or experience with a social enterprise
- Experience developing video content (planning, writing, editing, visual design)
Skills & Characteristics
- Intermediate-advanced knowledge of MS Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.) or ability to gain this skill quickly
- Basic graphic design skills and proficiency in common design software (e.g., Canva, Adobe products) or ability to quickly become proficient
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills across all dimensions (written, verbal, visual) and multiple forms (i.e., long-form, short-form, presentation, video, etc.)
- Skilled at quickly distilling complex information (both verbal and written) to create convincing and engaging content in a variety of voices and formats
- Skilled at editing for voice, clarity, structure, content, purpose, audience, errors, etc.
- Highly detail-oriented
- Organized, able to multi-task and manage multiple deadlines
- Comfortable and proficient working and collaborating in-person and remotely
- Passionate about advancing human rights at work
Salary range: $65,000-$75,000 USD, commensurate with candidate experience and appropriate for a charitable organization of SAI’s size. Excellent benefits package.
To apply, please send 1) a resume, 2) a cover letter explaining how your experience fits the qualifications listed above, and 3) two writing samples to [email protected]. All applicants MUST include “SAI Senior Communications Associate 2023” in the subject line of their email submission.
Writing Samples: For each sample, please state whether you are the sole creator and if/how others were involved in the result. We strongly prefer samples solely attributable to the applicant. Samples should show a range of writing skills, including technical writing (handbook, toolkit, etc.) if possible. Together, the two samples should not exceed ten pages.
Finalists will be presented with an additional writing assignment before hiring.
SAI is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity makes us stronger and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.