Title: Lead Wildland Firefighter (Sr Firefighter-Prescribed Fire/Fuels) - Avon Park AFR, Florida
Location: Avon Park AFR, Florida
Full job description: https://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/121332
Full Consideration Application Date: 05/22/2023
Salary Range: $44,740 - $51,200
The Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML) is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University (CSU). CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DoD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
Incumbent will be a member of the Avon Park Wildland Support Module for the U.S. Air Force Wildland Fire Branch based at Avon Park Air Force Range, FL. The Wildland Support Module is responsible for implementing prescribed burns and responding to wildfires on Air Force property throughout the area of responsibility and the U.S.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a Team Lead and to provide operational oversight and planning of wild land fire suppression/non-suppression activities and specialized expertise. The incumbent is also responsible for preparedness, prevention, prescribed burning, monitoring, hazardous fuel reduction within assigned area of responsibility. The incumbent also assists in writing and executing wildland fire management plans, prescribed burn plans, and preparedness plans.
This position requires work on active military training ranges with potential risk for unexploded ordnance and other related hazards. In addition, regular travel (up to 15 weeks per year) to other Air Force installations to perform similar tasks throughout the southeast will be required. The position is to be located at Avon Park Air Force Range, FL.
Beginning Monday, August 16, 2021, Colorado State University has mandated vaccinations against COVID-19. Faculty and staff are required to submit their vaccine status or declare an exemption. More information about the vaccination mandate can be found on the CSU COVID-19 Information & Resources site here, https://covid.colostate.edu/pandemic-preparedness-team-broad-guidance-for-all-summer-and-fall-2021-activities/
• High School diploma, General Education (GED), or equivalent required.
• A minimum of three year’s work experience in fire management is required.
• Knowledge and experience in prescribed fire operations, including burning techniques, fuels inventory, preparation of burn plans, prescriptions, firing procedures, holding strategies. Prior wildland fire experience is a mandatory requirement.
• Knowledge and skill in care, maintenance, and utilization of wildland fire suppression and prescribed fire and fuels treatments equipment.
• Knowledge of natural resource management, fire ecology, fire behavior, and fire management theories, concepts, principles, and standards in a wildland fire environment sufficient to plan, develop, implement, coordinate, and evaluate an integrated fire management program.
• Knowledge of the policies, techniques and practices of wildland firefighting obtained through substantial service as a primary/rigorous firefighter of a highly structured organization.
• Knowledge of accepted wildland fire safety practices and procedures.
• The successful candidate must have or be able to obtain a driver’s license by employment and a Class B commercial driver’s license within 6 months of employment
• Meet requirements for the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) standards for Single Resource Boss, which includes an annual pack test at arduous level and fire line refresher (maintained annually).
S-290, Intermediate Wildland Fire Behavior, course completion.
• The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by proposed start date; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Colorado State University (CSU) is committed to providing employees with a strong and competitive benefits package that supports you, your health, and your family. Visit CSU’s Human Resources website for detailed benefit plan information for permanent full-time and part-time faculty and administrative professional employees in the following University benefit areas: https://hr.colostate.edu/hr-community-and-supervisors/benefits/benefits-eligibility/ & https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-perks/.
Colorado State University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
CSU is an EO/EA/AA employer.
David Lawrence Centers for Behavioral Health