Genspace is the world’s first community biology lab — a place where people of all backgrounds can learn, create, and grow with the life sciences. Since 2009, we have served the greater New York area by providing hands-on STEAM education programs for adults and youth, cultural and outreach events for the public, and a membership program to support New York’s community of creatives, researchers, and entrepreneurs. Our programs demystify scientific processes, provide a platform for innovation, and cultivate the next generation of life sciences leaders in emerging global technologies, such as biotechnology, neuroscience, genomics, and many more.
Our mission is to foster a safe and inclusive community where all people – including those from non-traditional and underrepresented backgrounds – can experientially learn, boldly create, and meaningfully grow with the life sciences.
Everyone is empowered to use the life sciences to explore questions and develop applications that are connected to their lives and rooted in their communities.
You can read more about our history and core values on our website: https://www.genspace.org/mission.
Genspace is seeking a dynamic and passionate Executive Director (ED) to lead Genspace into its next chapter. The ED will oversee all aspects of strategy, programs, operations, community relations, fundraising, and financial management. The ED will take Genspace’s infrastructure, high-quality programs, and existing partnerships to the next level by continuing to develop collaborations and build relationships with donors and funders that will broaden the organization’s impact.
The ED will be a passionate advocate for community biology and also be a dynamic presence and an effective communicator strongly aligned with the organizational mission and values of Genspace. The ED works closely with the Board Chair and Directors, reports to the Board of Directors, and directly manages core staff.
Full time, exempt position, 40 hrs/week;
Hybrid work environment (2-4 days/week in person) based in Brooklyn, NY
Some evening/weekend hours required.
Salary range: $100-110k
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Or, please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected].
DETAILED POSITION DESCRIPTION
Development and Fundraising
- Serve as the primary lead for fundraising at the organization, finding innovative and connective ways to invite greater financial support for the mission.
- Be outward-facing and serve as a key stewardship lead and primary spokesperson with donors, foundations and other stakeholders.
- Research, write and submit grant applications and funding proposals.
- Cultivate individual donors, especially for major gifts, grassroots, and monthly donors.
- Develop, recommend, and monitor annual organizational and program budgets.
- Ensure effective audit trails.
- Approve expenditures.
- Provide for proper fiscal record-keeping and reporting.
- Submit quarterly financial statements to the Board of Directors.
Program Strategy and Oversight
- Work with staff and community stakeholders to develop and facilitate a long-term and annual strategic planning processes for the growth of Genspace.
- Develop organizational program goals and objectives consistent with mission and vision.
- Oversee all programs, services and activities to ensure program objectives are met.
- Oversee development of new programs and collaborations.
- Ensure compliance with program funding sources and regulatory requirements.
- Provide information for evaluation of the organization's programmatic activities.
- Develop and administer membership and volunteer policies and procedures.
- Administer Board-approved personnel policies, and regulatory compliance.
- Oversee and ensure proper (legal) hiring and termination procedures for personnel.
- Oversee any and all disciplinary actions.
- Supervise and evaluate all staff (directors, managers, office help etc.), contractors, and volunteers.
- Assist the Board of Directors in planning the agenda and materials for Board meetings.
- Initiate and assist in developing policy recommendations and in setting priorities.
- Facilitate the orientation of new Board members.
- Work with the Board to raise funds.
- Staff Board committees as appropriate.
Networks and Public Relations
- Serve as chief liaison and spokesperson for the organization, serve as a passionate advocate for the organization.
- Increase awareness and visibility of the organization.
- Collaborate with staff to create effective marketing and communications plans.
- Establish sound, collaborative relationships with community groups, school and university partners, government, and other organizations.
Additional Responsibilities as Needed:
- Participate in the broader Community Biology field - share ideas, practices, and stories and listen in to what’s happening at other labs.
- Assist with teaching, mentoring, facilitation, and program coordination across program portfolios as needed.
- Passion for STE(A)M and connection to Genspace’s mission, vision, and values.
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences discipline or 5+ years experience in biotechnology, life sciences, or related fields. Advanced (post-Bachelors) degree is a plus.
- 5+ years leadership experience, including managing staff, ideally in informal STE(A)M education.
- A strong track record in fundraising, securing private foundation grants, city/state/federal grants, corporate sponsorships, individual giving, and events.
- Analytical expertise in creating and monitoring progress toward clear, data-informed, and measurable revenue goals.
- Experience managing budgets of $500,000+, including preparing financial reports, managing contracts, and ensuring proper audit trails.
- Capable of designing and directing strategies that enhance and support organizational operations.
- Knowledge of how to foster an environment of accountability, healthy work relationships and partnerships, and inclusivity among organizational staff in order to maintain a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Experience facilitating partnerships with other nonprofits, building and maintaining relationships with people of various backgrounds and identities.
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Flexibility, adaptability to rapidly changing work environment.
Genspace is committed to a diverse workplace and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, partnership status, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.