About the Position
Algalita Marine Research and Education seeks an Education Coordinator to oversee and facilitate various aspects of the organization’s educational activities to ensure their smooth operation and success. This role will work closely with the Education Director to provide meaningful educational experiences and services – online and off – for educators and students in southern California and beyond.
The ideal candidate has experience facilitating educational activities including, but not limited to, outdoor field trips, hands-on workshops, presentations, and group learning experiences with middle school, high school, and/or college students. In addition, a background in environmental sciences, education, and specifically plastic pollution, is a plus. The Education Coordinator will focus on three primary responsibilities, though there is opportunity for this role to expand in scope and creativity:
- Coordinate facilitation of Algalita’s in-person educational programming – including field trips for school groups and other educational experiences hosted at our Learning Center in Long Beach, CA. This role will also coordinate facilitation of our education program for homeschool students.
- Manage Student Hub submissions generated through Algalita’s online program, Wayfinder Society for Environmental Education.
- Facilitate classroom toolkit procurement, assembly, and fulfillment of orders including shipping and handling.
We are looking for a creative, energetic, flexible, proactive, and professional individual who thrives in a collaborative environment and who will be able to use their planning and facilitation skills to foster learning and environmental stewardship in students though a range of programs.
The position is part-time at approximately 20 hours of work per week. The schedule is variable, but field trips and classroom lessons generally take place on weekdays between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm. Online program management and administrative work hours will be flexibly scheduled. Some weekend and evening hours may be required for special events.
Experience and Education
- While no degree is required for this role, the candidate must be well-versed in environmental science & policy, earth science, biology or related fields
- 2 years of work experience in formal or informal education, facilitating group activities
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Experience with WordPress websites or equivalent is a plus
- Passionate about environmental education and the vision, mission, and values of Algalita
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Works well independently and in teams
- Comfortable speaking and facilitating activities with groups
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Desire to learn and ability to make complex themes digestible
- Ability to make independent decisions and respond to immediate needs of students, emergency situations, and program needs
- Must have a valid driver’s license, access to reliable transportation, and be willing to travel throughout Southern California.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Must be able to traverse stairs and uneven terrain (like dock ramps) while carrying equipment. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to Algalita’s safety protocols and safety of program participants. Must be able to provide supervision of about 20 students at a time in an outdoor setting.
- Must be willing to work outside in a variety of weather conditions and temperatures.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification will be required within 2 months of employment.
- Fingerprinting for a background check will be required.
Visit https://algalita.org/jointeam/ to submit your application by January 15, 2024.