Urban Green Council is looking for a professional, detail-oriented Communications Associate to assist with the communications and digital marketing activities of its 15-person organization that works to decarbonize buildings for healthy and resilient communities.
Urban Green is NYC’s go-to nonprofit for building solutions for climate change. We make the technical relatable – with compelling writing, inspiring design and interactive visualizations – and our work in the building sector is widely reported in the mainstream and trade press. Reporting to the Associate Manager of Communications, the Communications Associate will play a critical role in our external communications and fundraising efforts.
Urban Green Council is a hybrid workplace, but employees must live in the greater NYC area and be able to attend regular in-person meetings in Manhattan. All Urban Green staff are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted against Covid-19.
The person who will best succeed in this role:
- Cares deeply about sustainability and knows how to make our digital communications and user experience stand out.
- Is well versed in all aspects of communications, with a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Sustainability Management, Environmental Policy, or related field.
- Knows how to make a brand stand out online, with at least one year of experience with website and social media platform management.
- Possesses excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Has strong writing and proofreading skills, and is able to compose engaging and accurate content.
- Has experience creating eye-catching graphics and is fluent in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
- Is a problem solver with strong critical-thinking skills who enjoys finding solutions as challenges arise.
- Is a strong communicator who works well independently and with a team, and can juggle multiple projects at once.
A few other qualities we are looking for include:
- Experience managing a WordPress website.
- Experience managing email campaigns in Mailchimp.
- Experience with Adobe Premiere Pro or other video editing software.
- Strong interest in sustainability and green building.
- Write and edit communications and outreach materials for weekly newsletter and website.
- Curate and schedule social media content for LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Develop and design graphics including flyers, event programs, posters, and PowerPoint presentations, etc, keeping with Urban Green brand guidelines.
- Assist with conceptualization, copy editing, and design of Urban Green’s research and policy analyses.
- Help track and report on web, email and social media statistics using Google Analytics and other tools.
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment.
- Assist in planning and outreach for the Urban Green Council annual Gala.
- Assist with database management to send membership renewals, acknowledgments, and invoices.
- Assist with grant preparation and submission processes as necessary.
- Can work occasional evenings to assist with quarterly networking events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Benefits and Compensation: The salary for this position is $48,000. Benefits include:
- 100% employee coverage for medical and dental
- 401k with 4% employer match
- 100% employee coverage for Life, Short Term and Long Term disability insurance
- 15 vacation days in the first year, 8 paid holidays, and 2 personal days
- Office closure between Christmas and New Years
- Early closure on Fridays year-round, Full Friday closure in July & August
How To Apply
If you are interested in this position, please fill out this application form. After submitting your application, you can expect to hear from our hiring team regarding their decision within a few weeks. You may reach out to [email protected] with any questions, but applications received by email will not be reviewed.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
We believe the path to decarbonizing buildings and creating healthy and resilient communities includes a diverse team of people with different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. At Urban Green Council we are committed to championing diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our organization, including our recruitment and hiring practices. We encourage you to apply if you are excited about this position and can see yourself in this role, even if your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed.
Urban Green Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process, please email [email protected].
Urban Green’s Organizational Values
- Excellence: We strive for innovative high-quality programs and ideas.
- Inclusion: The diverse voices and backgrounds of our employees, board of directors, members, and partners make us stronger.
- Collaboration: We believe consensus delivers better solutions and teamwork is essential to our success.
- Engagement: We promote a culture of performance, participation, and curiosity.