About Appalachian Voices
Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that works to achieve an Appalachia with healthy, intact ecosystems and advance a just transition to a generative and equitable clean energy economy. We have 30 staff members located in offices in Boone, N.C., Charlottesville, Va., Norton, Va., Knoxville, Tenn., and Durham, N.C.
Commitment to equity
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We understand people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the primary roles and responsibilities listed. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Appalachian Voices is seeking a part-time Contributing Editor to write, edit and publish articles for The Appalachian Voice publication and assist with periodic writing and editing projects for the organization, such as reports and blogs. The successful candidate will be experienced in journalistic writing and editing, and be comfortable working collaboratively with the organization’s communications and program staff. The Contributing Editor will be responsible for writing articles in environmental, energy and economic topic areas related to Appalachian Voices’ programmatic work.
We are looking for someone who understands the power of the written word to advance movements for justice. Expertise in environmental and energy issues is not required, but a keen interest in learning these topics and a commitment to accuracy is essential.
This position will be based in the Central and Southern Appalachian region, and proximity to one of Appalachian Voices’ offices is a plus. Some travel will be required as public health conditions allow, including reporting-based travel throughout the region and travel to our office in Boone, North Carolina.
- Identify, research and produce a wide variety of stories for The Appalachian Voice news publication and pieces for Appalachian Voices program outreach
- Tell stories connected to Appalachian Voices’ program work through high-quality, thoroughly researched writing that centers the voices of people directly impacted by and involved in these topics
- Edit articles about Appalachian Voices’ program work and other regional environment and culture topics produced by freelancers, interns and other staff
- Plan and obtain art for articles, including working with photographers and others
- Publish and maintain content online
- Assist with content production and preparation for periodic print editions
- Participate in occasional brainstorming sessions with Appalachian Voices’ communications team members for other organizational communications projects
- Potentially generate audio and/or video versions of some stories, depending on skill set
- Potentially develop social media content to promote stories
Skills and Experience Required:
- At least three years of significant writing and editing experience
- Demonstrated ability to center the voices and perspectives of people closest to an issue
- Demonstrated ability to conduct thorough research and explain complex topics in an accessible manner
- Superior editing skills including copyediting, fact-checking and the ability to edit for structure, tone and clarity
- Experience with journalistic methods
- Familiarity with Appalachia and with justice-based movements
- Ability to produce high-quality work and exercise good judgment
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently and in teams
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to manage multiple, simultaneous deadlines and projects
- Experience teaching or mentoring writers is a plus
- Experience with social media and digital marketing is a plus
- Experience with audio or video production is a plus
- Illustration skills are a plus