Community Lodgings based in Alexandria, Virginia, is a nonprofit whose mission is to lift families from homelessness and instability to independence and self-sufficiency through Transitional Housing, Affordable Housing and Youth Education Programs. We offer three core services to over 275 individuals daily. We own and operate five units of transitional housing and 38 units of affordable housing. Our clients are our neighbors.
Community Lodgings is seeking an experienced Development Director to support the organization's fundraising goals. The Development Director will serve as a senior staff member and will report directly to the Executive Director. He/She will develop and execute an annual fundraising plan that includes direct appeal campaigns, grant applications, fundraising events, online/social media campaigns, major donor cultivation and general community outreach with the goal of both cash and in-kind gifts. The DD will focus on increased giving from individuals, corporations and foundations. The DD is responsible for all marketing and communications efforts in support of the fundraising goals.
The Development Director will lead the organization's fundraising plan to ensure that all current and future Community Lodgings programs are appropriately funded through a combination of grants, major gifts, bequests, special events, capital campaigns, and other forms of planned giving. This position requires exceptional organizational skills, mastery of financial tools, and experience working with foundations, corporations, private citizens, and volunteers.
● Bachelor’s degree required and five years’ experience in fundraising, and public relations/marketing
● Proven track record of raising funds from diverse sources
● Experience in donor cultivation, grant writing and special events
● Knowledge of and connections within the DMV community
● Strong written and verbal communications skills
● Strong interpersonal, supervision, administration and management skills
● Familiar with donor tracking systems (Giftworks)
● Ability to work with a diverse group of people
● Experience measuring data and outcomes of events to determine marketing effectiveness
● Development – advise the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and Leadership Team on fundraising strategy, planning, and implementation; coordinate fundraising campaigns; research and identify sources for funding, including individuals, corporations, foundations, governmental entities, earned revenue, and events; ensure adequate grant proposals and fundraising activities to meet and exceed annual budget requirements.
● Relationship Management – develop and or re-establish relationships with current, former, and prospective supporters and community partners; build partnerships within the philanthropic community.
● Writing and Reviewing – oversee drafting of proposals for grants; grant reporting and case statements for capital campaigns and speeches that the Executive Director or Board Members may deliver.
● Marketing – create and maintain a messaging and branding strategy; coordinate marketing efforts to support programs, ensuring seamless messaging to all stakeholders; ensure that all public-facing messaging consistently demonstrates the organization’s voice, capability, monitor CLI’s digital and communications output in order to match the development strategy.
● Management – supervise the Communications/In-Kind Coordinator who supports development activities, events, volunteers, marketing, research, and data reporting, analysis, evaluation, and monitoring.
● Events – plan and manage the implementation of Community Lodgings annual events, appeals and fundraisers.
● Working knowledge of social media tools including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook
● Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Suite
● Knowledge of fundraising information resources
● Experience writing letters of inquiry, concept proposals and similar document
● Core computer skills in word processing, database management, spreadsheets and electronic communications (email, listserv, e‐newsletters, constant contact, etc).
This is a full time exempt position requiring flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary commensurate with experience and includes a competitive benefits package.
Please send resume and salary requirement, along with a cover letter to:
We will not consider applications without a cover letter. Within your cover letter, please address the following:
● Why are you a good fit for this position?
● Tell us about your greatest fundraising achievement(s).
● What appeals to you about working at Community Lodgings?